Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Last day in the States

This is it.

My regular contact with those of you in the United States is going to get more sporadic. I leave for Ecuador tomorrow. I have two flights, the first out of Boston to Miami, the second from Miami to Guayaquil, my home for the next year. Some of you may be wondering how I spent my last day. It was all such a blur I don't know if I can even recall it. We had a session about teaching all day, ultimate frisbee, 2 CVS trips, pasta for dinner, a birthday celebration (Happy Birthday Jenn!), an itinerary and logistics quick session, and now I'm sitting here on this computer typing up the last thing I'm going to be typing in the US for a while. What a weird feeling.

I checked out of this orientation in the afternoon. I can't remember what was said, probably gems and jewels of knowledge I need to know for my time down there. The relevance of each presentation was incredible, but I don't know what it will be like. I don't know what it will be like trying to remember everything I've learned here when an Ecuadorian child tells me about his familial relationships. I don't know if I'll remember everything I've learned here having my first fight with community members. I don't know if I'll remember everything I've learned here when I get into difficult situations, when the culture shock sets in, when I have to meet new neighbors or protect myself from other people around the neighborhood.

We have a prayer tonight that's going to commission my community and I as we go off into our adventure. I don't know when I'll see all of the JVs again. Now the uncertainty hits. We're being whisked away in an airplane to a place I don't know about and all I can do is write in this blog and hope that tomorrow goes off without a hitch, I arrive at Guayaquil and we are welcomed with grand smiles and hugs. How did it get to this point again?

This is crazy. My life has taken me to the precipice of an adventure I never thought I would undertake. My heart has lead me here because I followed it as a wise woman told me to do once. This is where my heart has taken me. ConfusionangstexcitmentoverjoyedwhatintheworlddoIdonowohmygodwheredoIgofromhere?

The only place I need to go. I have never felt more peace than at this moment. I promise you, in the States, that I will be in touch as much as I can. Thank you for your constant support.

To change a slightly cliche phrase and make it my sign off line:

From Ecuador, with Love.

No comments:

Post a Comment