Sunday, July 18, 2010

Packing, Part Two: All that I can't keep

I'm sitting at a desktop computer at the Bedford Plaza Hotel in Bedford, MA. Christine is sitting next to me, kissing me on the arm. My dad and his wife, Anastazya, are walking out of the hotel to make a phone call to my Aunt, who is staying near our hotel. We may go see her tonight. It's been a great past few days, but for the next week or so, I will not have this much free time. Orientation should clear up some things, but it should also give me some insight into what exactly my year will be like.


I left my cell phone and laptop at home. I'm leaving my Ipod with my dad. I'm leaving behind all of my friends and family and Christine. It's going to be really difficult. It has been really difficult. But today I also just realized what I am going to have down there: my community of volunteers, new faces, new challenges, and new experiences. These are the things I'm going to have while in Ecuador, and they will be mysterious but necessary.

Tomorrow will be full of tears, but I know that I'll make it. All that I can't keep are things that I hope I will find when I return. Sometimes you have to let things go before they become even bigger parts of your life.

A message from Christine:
Christine is awesome. She rocks my world. She is coming to visit in 4 months and I'm counting down the days already. PS-she's gorgeous. PPS-she had NOTHING to do with writing this section.

1 comment:

  1. You will also have an amazing group of SJU love bugs there in about 9 months to not only experience Ecuador for the first or second time, but to also see the impact that it will have had on you, an SJU alum, over the next year. Reading your posts already made me cry...seriously...I miss Duran so very much and this weird but comforting feeling came over me that you and your blog may be a part of my discernment process this year.
    so thank you & i miss you so so much already

    ReplyDelete