Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Packing, Part One: The Beginning

I'm sitting in my computer chair drinking chocolate milk. I have my fan going and my windows open. I'm typing on my Macbook, listening to the sound of my washer tumble dry my pairs of jeans and khakis. A blue flashlight, small black photo album, blue blanket, and two suit cases are still, laying on my floor in different places. My bed is unmade, and I know I've been on this computer for entirely too long. I'm getting my fingerprints done today, getting my third (and final) rabies shot tomorrow, taking the GREs on thursday, and partying it up with my friends on friday. Saturday will be bittersweet, spending it with family and Christine (my girlfriend of three years). Why all of this description, a reader may think. This seems a bit superfluous. Why doesn't he just get to the point?

I've still got a few days here in the States. I want to take everything in so that when I'm gone I can have memories. It's tough packing away life into a green duffle bag and a black carry-on. I've packed all of my t-shirts and collard shirts, collected all of my boxers and washed all of my pants. Everything takes time, but this point really came up fast. How did I get here, graduated and on the verge of leaving my life I've known for so long for a year?

Now, don't get me wrong. I am excited as all get up for this. I remember getting the call from Elyse (one of my bosses), when she told me that they were going to offer me a position with them. I felt in my mind like I had reached the pinnacle of my academic and extra-curricular achievements. I couldn't contain myself: I pumped my fist on the phone while mouthing "I got the position!" to my boss Beth. I ran out of Campus Ministry and called my dad, then Christine. I think I have found what I am meant to do for the next year.

It's just tough realizing what I have to leave behind to pursue what I want to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment