Tuesday, July 20, 2010

The Jumpoff

Orientation has begun. Yesterday was painful. I left my dad and his wife and Christine...leaving Christine was probably one of the hardest things to do. I felt as if something was being pried away from my heart...Christ said it would be challenging. Christ said I would need to give up everything to follow Him. I suppose he didn't expect anyone not to feel this hurt or pain when they took up their cross. But I know my parents and Christine have similar crosses to bear. It's good to know that. I went to sleep early last night because of the emotionality of the evening. It was difficult to get into last night's festivities and learning everybody's name because my head and heart were elsewhere.

Today, on the other hand, was awesome. I finally got to see some pictures of the community I'll be living in and learned more about the mission, vision and Way of Life of RdC. I was able to bond with some of the people in my group, especially my in country community in Monte Sinai. Jenn, Marita, Becky and Aaron are awesome people, and I'm so excited to live with them. Talking with the other volunteers working with RdC has been awesome too. We all seem like we have similar expectations and mindsets entering this year, and I hope that we all can converge on our communal living and come together.

I have eight days left in the United States. What a weird feeling of excitement, anxiousness and hope. Hopefully Christine will come online so I can chat with her. Thank God for the people here because they are so supportive of everyone else. Looks like community life is beginning already.

No comments:

Post a Comment