Friday, August 20, 2010

Bastion Popular, Bloque Uno - Never Take the 83

So this week has been my first week of work. I´ve been working in a barrio called Bastion Popular, which is right across the Via Daule in Guayaquil, a busy commercial road. There are twelve blocks there, and I work on Bloque uno, which is quite the sight. There are no paved roads but it is rather urban: Bastion is sprawling with buildings, hogars and tiendas scattered all over the hills. It´s like most other neighborhoods I´ve seen here in Ecuador, except whenever anyone talks about it, I always hear the same thing. "¿Bastion? Sí, esta muy peligroso."

But when I go to my worksite there, I don´t see it. There are about 80 kids, ranging from ages 6 to 15, all of whom do their homework loudly and aren´t afraid to ask for help. They´re all very energetic and seem excited about what their doing. Then again, there are a few who act up in the middle of their homework. I usually just give them a stare and firmly ask "¿que?" like my mom would do to me if anything was acting up. Usually the just freeze and return to their homework. They always call me "Profe" (short for profesor), and seem to like my company, even though they speak Spanish 10 (maybe 20) times better than I do. Now, granted, I haven´t ever walked on the streets of Bastion because my boss informs me that I´m not safe there, but I always walk with one of the young adult volunteers who works there. All four of them are really chévere (cool), and they seem to like me even though my command of the language isn´t there yet.

The only thing I will say is that no one should EVER take the 83 unless they really want to get to the other side of Bastion. I won´t disclose the details of my engagement with that bus line, but I promise you it´s best not to take it, especially if you´re trying to get to bloque uno. It takes you to the other side of Bastion, and if you´re a gringo, definitely do go to the other side of bastion. Or bloque dos, even.

So, I suppose for all my talk about the kids in Bloque Uno, it´s important to take the advice of people who say that a place is muy peligroso. At the same time, assuming every place in Ecuador is that isn´t the best thing to do. So, to conclude this suprisingly advising blog entry, if you enter a place you don´t know, don´t always assume that it is dangerous, even if people say it is. Odds are, where you go may be, but that doesn´t mean you should be afraid of it because good people do live there. Don´t be afraid of the unknown because sometimes you´ll find life even in the most mysterious places.

1 comment:

  1. "Don´t always assume that it is dangerous, even if people say it is. Odds are, where you go may be, but that doesn´t mean you should be afraid of it because good people do live there. Don´t be afraid of the unknown because sometimes you´ll find life even in the most mysterious places."

    You're incredible, do you know that? What you just described applies perfectly to so many situations, even stateside. I've been nervous about student teaching in West Philly this semester but you put me at ease. :)

    ReplyDelete