Friday, April 15, 2011

The Beginning and The End

I needed to get this out before I left AJS and got to a place where cyber access wasn´t as easy. Today we decidedon a day for us to return to the US. Now I have a date and a place that I´m going back to, and it is so bittersweet. This won´t be too long of a post, but it´s just to express that I´m now on a timeline for being here. It´s strange.

Perhaps it won´t bother me everyday. I´ll be able to focus on the coordinating position in Bastion Popular and I´ll able focus on Holy week ahead of me, being that us in sinai have such a big role in the parish there. I´ll be spending as much time as I can with the neighbors I´ve grown to know and love and continue being myself here in Ecuador. Yet, to be honest, I can feel it in the back of my mind already beginning to embed itself. I can hear the whispers saying, "You have this much time left and then it´ll be over." What type of undue pressure will I put on myself by doing this?

Yet it is a natural human tendency to do: we see the end and begin to allow it to happen to us. It creeps up like a wall that looks small from far away but grows as it gets closer. It´s a daunting thing to think about even with all of the support I know I will have when I go home. A year of my life that has challenged, formed, and made me into a better man and a stronger person is just going to end and I have to return to a life that I am no longer accustmed to.

but it isn´t going to be like that. i´m not giving up a new life for a new life or visa versa. I´m just living. I´m just becoming the person who God wants me to be and this is all part of the plan. It´s not a beginning or an end. It´s the beginning and the end. The Alpha and the Omega. God has known, knows, and will know where my next steps lie. I just have to put trust in that and be content with the fact that I am living in the cross of Christ, the One.

1 comment:

  1. I especially loved the last paragraph of this entry. "I'm not giving up a new life for a new life or visa versa. I'm just living. I'm just becoming the person who God wants me to be and this is all part of the plan."

    Beautiful. Definitely needed words to hear as I near the end of my own year of service.

    Love you, Jeff. I hope I get to see you sometime this summer before I leave NJ.

    ReplyDelete