Wednesday, March 23, 2011

The Future

This past weekend I found out my plan for next year: I am going to be a full time student working towards a Masters of Divinity at the Boston College School of Theology and Ministry. I am also still working on getting my things together for the peer ministry program there. It's all so close and yet so far; I feel like i'm standing inbetween the past and the future, and right now the future is beginning to overtake me.

Next year I'm going to be on a college campus in Boston, Massachussetts. If all goes well I will also be ministering to first year students and living on campus as well. I will be closer to Christine and be able to see her as much as possible. I will be reading and studying and doing all of these things I've taken a break from for the past year. I took a break from these things and have been living here in Mount Sinai, an invasion community in the city of Guayaquil, where there are little to no services (irregular trash pickup, no running wate, etc.), and our house is the biggest house in the entire sector. And now I'm anticipating having to make that transition back into an academic and social life that I haven't had for the past year.

It's crazy to be in between all of these things now. But I think, as I think about it more, I have a better chance of being ok in my head than I was with coming down here. And if I'm living between the past and the future, that must mean I'm living in the present, right? The future will come, and the past has already happened, but now is what I need to focus on. In all honesty, that is a difficult thing to do. But anticipating something takes a lot more energy than just sitting in the present and being happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment